A couple from Queensland, Australia brought their iPhone 6 to a local repair shop hoping to get its broken screen and faltering battery fixed, but little did they know the smart phone was fixing to explode.
From the repair shop owner:
A customer came into the store with screen damaged iPhone 6+ for repair. The customer wanted repair of broken screen and complained of Apple genuine battery not holding charge. We removed the customer’s Otterbox and prepared to book the phone in. Then, the customer picked up phone and applied a regular amount of pressure to the screen, the same as any normal person would do everyday during regular use. The battery failed and exploded. Initial force of the explosion caused the screen to come off the phone. Our staff extinguished the phone with a fire extinguisher. We had to evacuate the store due to fumes and could not open for the rest of the day. Draw your own conclusions, but imagine if this happened five minutes earlier when the guy was driving to the shop and not in the shop.
Situations as such are clearly not the norm for iPhone owners, but it’s borderline impossible to know whether or not you’re walking around with one that could blow at any moment.